Monash Special Developmental School is a state government school for children who have a significant developmental delay and/or a moderate to severe intellectual disability. Many of the students have additional disabilities predominately being that of autism spectrum disorder, while some students have a sensory or physical disability.
Our Early Education program caters for children from 2yrs 8 months to 5yrs, while our school program has students from 5 to 18yrs.
Monash SDS has AMAZE accreditation and offers:
• An early education program (2 days a week from 9am-2pm)
• A range of enrolment options
• A hydrotherapy complex
• Individualised programs and small group learning experiences
• STEM program including coding and robotics
• Music and PE specialist teachers
• Camp program
• Therapy programs (Speech and OT)
• Social worker
• Health support by school nurses
• Regular parent support group meetings
• Transport to and from school for school age students in our transport zone
Monash SDS offers a highly flexible educational program which includes a range of responsive but also challenging individualised teaching and learning opportunities and initiatives. Effective and consistent teaching strategies and philosophies are used to promote student independence. All programs are supported by qualified teaching staff and experienced education support staff including structured teaching and school-wide positive behaviour support. In conjunction with the teaching staff, therapists support the students’ well-being and development within a diverse range of programs across the school.
Setting expectations and promoting inclusion is a strength and an essential element of school culture. Our core values are promoted through the teaching of our school wide expectations:
‘Do your best work, help others succeed, respect your environment’